Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

John 19 : 17Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha). 18Here they crucified him, and with him two others—one on each side and Jesus in the middle.

 

As I woke this morning all I could think about was Christ carrying his cross, and I think of Matthew 10 where Christ says “38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” I think of how heavy the physical, and Spiritual cross of Christ was, then I feel so weak and selfish when I think how I grumble under the weight of my light and insignificant cross. As if I have reason to complain!  I think of the pain, the brutality that Christ endured today. The beatings, the insults, the pain of the nails, the slow death,  the humiliation the Christ suffered without question, without blaming anyone, without anger, or malice. He bore it all majestically, even at His lowest he was truly the King.   Then I reflect on how I grumble when I feel I am treated poorly, or look to find someone to blame, or become hot headed because of a situation I find myself in. I think of these times in my life this morning, and feel move to tears of shame. Then I think of the man on the cross next to Christ. The man that deserved to be hanging, next to the man who never deserved an ounce of pain dealt to Him. I think of Christ telling that man, “today you will be with me in paradise” and I realize, I am that man next to Christ. I am the man that deserves death for the life I have lived, I am that liar, that thief, that blasphemer, Yet I see Christ’s face and I hear his voice and I know that because of Christ’s love, and forgiveness for me, I too will join Him in paradise. This man, the Son of God, the human who endured more pain that I ever will, who suffered more humiliation that I could stand, who gave His life even for those that might still turn their back on Him….through all of this Christ still has more love in His heart, than I dare say I will ever have in my entire life. At the end of His human life His last request was for forgiveness for a world that does not know what they do. It is that forgiveness that sets me free, it is that love that heals this old sinners heart. SO here I sit on this Good Friday, and openly weep. I weep for the death of a man that did not deserve to die, and I weep for the forgiveness of a world that certainly deserves death. It is a debt that I can never repay, an honor that I did not work for, and it is a blessing that I do not deserve. May we all proclaim Glory, Honor, and Praise to God Almighty!

 

 

God Bless,

Brian Thetford

The New Covenant Church

www.thenewcovenantchurch.com

<))))><

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment