Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wed. the 4th

2 Corinthians 11: 24-28

 

24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.

 

Paul’s trials are often overlooked. People think of Paul as a great preacher, a wonderful Apostle, we read his letters, and find wisdom, justification, hope, and faith. What we seldom look at is what Paul endured yet still preached Christ crucified. This man endured so many hardships, yet the Word of God never left his heart, he preached on the run, he preached in chains, he preached after he was beaten, imprisoned, and on the brink of death. I read this passage, and I feel hope. I feel overwhelmed with the assurance that if the Lord will sustain a man through the darkest times, times that are so bad that some would pray for their own death, then how much more will he be present inside of me? Our lives, while complicated, are far and away better than Paul’s. Our strength in the Lord, our purpose should be all the more clear. We don’t have people chasing us to imprison us, or beat us……well most of us don’t! When we read this passage we should not just be thankful for our lives, but thankful for the time that we have available to profess the Word of God. Paul made a huge difference in peoples lives through all of his hardships, how much more of a difference can we make without the strain that he endured? I urge each of you to seize the time we are given! Reach out to those around you, any hardship that you get in return will be minimal when compared to Paul. Be fearless, trust in the Lord! When we stop to see all of the opportunity that we have to spread the word of God, the question is no longer what can I do? But look how much I can do!

 

Peace,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment