Thursday, March 12, 2009

morals in an immoral world

Colossians 3: 12-14

 

12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

 

Compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, which one of these things are touted today as good qualities; I will tell you, outside of church, not one! The business world, the “real” world, so many people talk about, has no room for these traits. I have even had people tell me that you cannot conduct daily business with true morals any more! I have to disagree. As a man who exists in both worlds, I can tell you that I have tried every path I could find, before finally finding the way! There is a path, it can be hard to find sometimes, and once it is found it can be hard to walk, but that path is lined with the traits Paul mentions. As I say often, you have to be willing to be third! Oh I know that many will tell you that taking on those traits will leave you open for disappointment. They will tell you that people will take advantage of you, and exploit your weakness…….don’t they do that now? You can live your life with these values, and of course you cannot forget to seal it all with love. I know it sounds hard to believe, but hey everyone believed the world was flat, not because they had knowledge of it, but because that is what everyone told them! Give it a try; make it a point to live these values. Guess what, the money will still be there, the deals will still be made, and battles will still be won and lost. I know from personal experience that life does get better, you find that you like yourself more, you feel good about your life instead of feeling like you have to justify it. It is an ongoing process, I often wonder how far I will make it, there are days where it is tiring, and I want to give up, but Faith will pull us through. So live to be third, people will see it as an example to follow, and then we can start to move toward true unity.

 

Peace,

Brian

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment