Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday the 8th

1 Corinthians 9: 24

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

 

I don’t watch a lot of football. I just don’t have the time, but I did watch the game last night. As I watched Colt McCoy walk off the field, I thought “yep, this game is over, it is going to be a blow out” But something very different happened, something that really made me take a look at my faith. The Longhorns came back on the field and got kicked around a little, and then it happened. They decided that the game was not over, they decided that as long as there was time on the clock, there was a game to play, and a game to try and win. Last night is the first time in a long time I saw the ideals of “play until the whistle blows” and “play your heart out” in action. As I sat there watching this unfold I found myself thinking, “ya’ know, this is how we should approach our lives, this is how we should fight for our faith.” All too often we don’t though, something happens in our life, and we lose our star quarterback, life looks tough, and we give up…or at least quit fighting as hard. Last night I was reminded that just because you do not win….well that does not mean that you lose. Do we fight for our faith as hard as the Longhorns fought for that win? You might think that they did not win, but they only played for a couple of hours. Imagine what that kind of determination could accomplish in a lifetime. The Longhorns showed up and ran the race to win the prize, I can’t help but wonder do we show that much heart when we run the race for our souls? Those boys stepped out on that field last night ready to give all they have….yet sometimes I get out of bed thinking how I can do as little as possible, and still be alright! I guess for most people last night was just another football game, for me it served as a reminder. We have to run the race in such a  way as to win the prize, we have to get up each morning and be ready to let it all hang out. We have to play until the whistle blows, not just sometimes, but all of the time. Yes the challenger might be bigger, and we might be ill equipped at times, but that is all the more reason to fight harder. How are you running your race today? Will you run your heart out, or will you do just enough to make it to the next check point? I don’t know about you but I laced my shoes up a little tighter this morning!

 

 

Peace,

Brian

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment