Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday the 14th

Hebrews 12: 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

 

Here we are at the run up to the next year. Christmas is upon us, and as quickly as you can blink, the ball will be dropping in Time Square. While this time of year is always exciting, the remembrance of the birth of Christ, the family, the friends, the gifts given and received, the fresh start of a new year…….it is truly a joyful time. If I am being honest though, it is a struggle for me as well at this time of year. I am tired, I am out of money, out of time, running out of patience, and just all around tired. During these times I wonder why I bother sometimes, why write, why spend the time studying, why crack open the Bible?….. I am tired, it has been a long year, and I just want to lie down for a little while. I know I am not the only one that feels that way, the holidays bring outright dread for many people. It is why I want to share this scripture with you, for it is one of the verses that keep me going when my gas tank, my bank account, and my will-o-meter all seem to be running low. Throw off everything that hinders… everything…. You see, that tired feeling, that feeling of despair, that feeling of failure, those emotions are put in your head by the devil. He wants you to slow down, he wants you to take a break, he wants you to lose your will. So you have to decide to throw off what hinders you, and choose to run the race with the perseverance that is poured into you by Christ Jesus. It is times like this that we must  look to Christ. This scripture goes on to say, 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood……And there it is, the driving force in my life now, the life giving force that fuels my engine….Oh I am tired, but am I more tired than Christ was? I think not. Are there forces trying to slow me down and wear on me? Of course! But they pale in comparison to the resistance Jesus met! Have I put forth effort and skinned a knee or elbow in my journey, sure we all have, but have we gone to the point of shedding blood, or putting our life on the line? I think not! Am I running out of material resources to complete my goals, sure, but I can’t help but think of the Man who went to His death for each one of us with nothing more than some tattered rags on his back, yet left behind an empire for His Father, and those who would call Him Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  So yes there are many reasons to feel tired, there are many reasons to feel helpless, and I know that we all have barriers that we have to come up against at this time of year, but do not take that break, do not give up hope, and let no opposition slow you down, choose to run the race, press forward to the goal. Our opposition, our road blocks, our fight from sin, is but a small speed bump when compared to the fight Christ put up. As Christ drew to the end of His earthly race, he did not slow down….if anything he doubled down, He found another gear, He pressed harder, and went further. Look to Christ, there you will find your replenishment, look to God, there you will find peace, and hope, look to the Trinity, and see the finish line. Now is not the time to slow down, now is the time to find your kick. May you find that in Christ today.

 

 

God Bless,

Brian Thetford

<((((><

 

www.thenewcovenantchurch.com

 

www.theworkweekwithchrist.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment