Tuesday, November 20, 2012

another year gone

Psalm 46:1   God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

I turn 42 today. As I usually do on my birthday, I take a quick reassessment of where I have been, where I am going, and just how I wound up where I am today. One thing is for sure, this Psalm has held true for me my entire life. I should explain that my whole life was not anything like it is today. I have ran as far and as fast as I could from God for a good part of my young life. I thought we had an understanding, He hosed me on my family life, so I would hose Him on my commitment. The older I get, the more I understand the “very present help” part of this verse. It is a very big reason why I am where I am, and doing what I do. You see, I ran out on God, but He never ran out on me. He never left my side. No matter how dark the shadows were that I ran into, He followed. No matter how base the environment was, He followed me in, He sent His Son to walk with me, to keep me on my feet, to keep me sane, in the insane world I was living in. I see that now, looking back. I walked away from things I should not have, I managed to live, even after I was sure my heart was dead. I know it could not of been an easy task, He enlisted the help of a woman to drag me kicking and screaming out of the shadows, and into the light. Today looking back, I am thankful that all 4 of them, God, Christ, the Holy Spirit, and Leslie Thetford, stuck by me. It has been a long road, with many pot holes, many off road excursions, and a lot of joy, pain, laughter and tears. One thing is for sure though, If this Psalm were not true, I would not be here today. God has sheltered me, strengthened me, and bailed me out of more jams that I can recount. He sent a wonderful woman into my life, that is hard as nails, and as soft as silk all at the same time. He blessed me with two girls that keep my heart soft, and my mind sharp. He has given me more than I deserve, and continues to do that every day.  God has been there for me, and had blessed me, it is my prayer that you allow Him to do the same for you.

If you have found yourself in a place today, and you think you are alone, beaten down, and have nowhere to turn, I would challenge you to be still, quiet your heart, and listen. God is with you, a lot of times, we just think we don’t need or want Him…..at least not right now….. He is faithful, and He is working for you as we speak, give Him the chance to show you just what is possible. Let Him show you what the impossible looks like, for everything is possible through Him.

 God Bless,
Brian  Thetford 

No comments:

Post a Comment